Heritage Sites:Further Cultural Sites
BASTIS provides information on the following cultural sites within BSR (see also the Benchmark Report):
- Kihnu island (Estonia): The islands of Kihnu and Manija are home to a unique indigenous culture that has thrived off the coast of Pärnu County for more than six centuries.The Kihnu cultural space was included by UNESCO in the list of Masterpieces of the Oral and Intangible Heritage of Humanity in 2003.
- Angla Windmill Park and The Heritage Culture Centre (Estonia): In 1925, as many as 9 windmills were standing on the top of Windmill Mountain. Five of them, having survived until today, also give a powerful impression.
- Ruins of Maasi fort-castle (Estonia): Maasi medieval fort-castle was built with the forced labour of islanders. On August 11th, 1576, the Danish king Frederik II ordered Maasi stronghold destroyed. It has been in ruins ever since.
- Pädaste Manor (Estonia): The earlier history of the manor begins with 16th century. In the end of 17th century there was also an orchard created in addition to the mansion and other manor buildings. Today the mansion is occupied by luxurious SPA hotel.
- Kurtuvėnai Manor (Lithuania):The Kurtuvėnai Manor is known since 1495, blossomed out in the eighteenth century under Nagurskiai family, later it was revived in the nineteenth century when it became the residence of count Pliateris. Even today there stands a two – storey wooden barn, a baroque church, a work-shop, limes of the park sigh, ponds of the manor are full of local breed of carp. The restored gardener‘s house of Kurtuvėnai manor welcomes guests at its camping. Former stables of the manor host a Horse Riding Service Centre. www.kurtuva.lt
- "Annenski kirmash" festival (Belarus):"Anne’s Fair" on Zelva Greenway has a 290-year history. It was founded by Anthony Sapieha approved by the Polish King August II in honor of St. Anne on July 25. Probably that is why the fair is called Anne’s.
- "Vyaselny Karavaj" ("Wedding Loaf") Rite (Belarus):No traditional Polessye wedding is complete without a "karavaj" (round loaf or wedding loaf). Karavaj are a part of various rites and traditions but their role in wedding ceremonies, especially in the village of Motol (Ivanovo region, Brest oblast) is well developed and highly significant.
- Rite of the Kalyady Tsars (Christmas Tsars) (Belarus):The Kalyady Tsars (Christmas Tsars) is a ritual and festive event celebrated annually in the village of Semezhava in the Kopyl district (Minsk oblast) on January 13th. In 2009 the Kalyady Tsars was included in UNESCO Intangible Heritage List.
- Kalyady Ritual Game ‘Zhanitsba Tsiareshki’ (‘Tsiareshka’s Wedding’) (Belarus):Christmas– ‘Kalyady’ - in Belarus is the time of distinctive holiday celebrations. The Kalyady ritual game ‘Zhanitsba Tsiareshki’ (‘Tsiareshka’s Wedding’) is raditionally held at the end of December and early January in Lepel and other regions in northern Belarus.
- Culinary Festival 'Motalskiya prysmaki' (Belarus): Culinary Festival, which debuted in 2008 in Motol village, just in a few years has gained an international status.
- Kaunas Botanical Garden (Lithuania): Kaunas Botanical Garden of Vytautas Magnus University was founded in 1923.It occupies 62,5 ha green area that is located almost in the center of Kaunas city. More than 7000 plant taxons comprise our botanical collections and expositions. Plant collections are important both for preservation of biological diversity and for botanical research, therefore they carefully nurtured, developed and extended in collaboration with botanical gardens from the all World. Well-groomed and rich plant expositions, the largest Green house in Lithuania, picturesque old park with a unique pond system and bridges, numerous buildings of Aukstoji Freda estate bears romantic historical spirit and creates calm natural environment for visitors. Their number fluctuates between 40000-50000 people every year. Comfortable Kaunas Botanical Garden location in the city and vast plant species variety bears extreme potential for using it for the needs of the community and makes our garden attractive for educational and cultural tourism. http://botanika.vdu.lt
Miss something? You would like to contribute? Please get an account, we are looking forward to your contribution.